Heathrow has provided an update on traffic and security wait times, with a claim that the airport is “getting back to its best”.
More than 5.4 million travellers passed through the London hub in January – the airport’s busiest start to the year since before the start of the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020.
Heathrow’s rolling 12-month traffic figure is now just under 64.5 million passengers – this compares with the record 80.9 million customers for the full year of 2019.
The airport also said that “passenger satisfaction is now at or above pre-pandemic levels”, with 98 per cent of customers waiting less than ten minutes for security last month.
A trial of the expanded use of eGates to 10 and 11 year-olds is set to take place over half term, with Heathrow stating that “We are fully supportive of Border Force’s aspirations to expand the use of eGates to more families and visa holders, assisting with smooth and seamless journeys”.
Commenting on the news Heathrow’s CEO John Holland-Kaye – who is set to step down this year – said:
“Heathrow is back to its best, with passenger satisfaction scores meeting or exceeding 2019 levels. We are giving a warm welcome to families over the half term getaway by delivering excellent service and bringing back the magic of travel.”
No mention was made however of potential industrial action in the coming weeks – Border Force staff are set to strike on March 15 as part of a wide walkouts involving 100,000 Public and Commercial Services Union members to coincide with Budget Day.
And the Unite Union has announced that over 3,000 security guards, engineers and firefighters at Heathrow are to be balloted over industrial action, raising the possibility of strikes over the busy Easter period.